Zuppa Toscana is a sausage and potato based soup. It is both flavorful and nutritious. The kale in the recipe gives it some texture and added vitamin A, C, and B12. It can be made spicy or mild depending on what you like. The best part of the recipe is that it is very easy to put together and the whole family will love it. This particular recipe would feed 6-8 people as a main course. Adding some fresh bread sticks or a loaf of artisian bread and you’ll have a meal you could only find in the Tuscan region of Italy (or Olive Garden of course).
1 Pound Mild Italian Sausage (Ground)
1 1/2 Teaspoons Crushed Red Peppers (Leave out for mild version)
1 Large Diced White Onion
1/4 Cup Diced Bacon Pieces
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
10 Cups Water
5 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Pound Sliced Russet Potatoes (Roughly 3 or 4 potatoes)
3 Leaves of Kale
- Replace the 10 Cups of water and 5 Bouillon Cubes with 5 Cups Water and 80 Ounces of Chicken Broth (or roughly 5 small cans (14 oz) of chicken broth).
- Replace the 2 Teaspoons of Garlic Powder with Two Garlic Cloves or Two Teaspoons Crushed Garlic.
- Leave the skin on the Potatoes for added texture and vitamins.
Steps to Make the Soup
1) Saute sausage & red pepper. Drain fat, refriderate while preparing other ingredients.
2) Saute bacon, onions, and garlic over low to medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are clear and soft.
3) Add chicken bouillon and water to pot. Bring to boil.
4) Add sliced potatoes and cook until soft. Check regularly to avoid overcooking.
5) Add heavy cream, kale, sausage and bring back to boil.
6) Remove from heat and enjoy!
Total Time to Make: 30 Minutes